Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Service with a smile.... and a box of mangoes?

Hello Readers,

So funny thing happened recently, this past Sunday I had a late lunch with my wife at a nearby Korean restaurant here in Los Angeles. It was just a small hole in the wall with all the usual dishes you'd find at any Korean restaurant. Nonetheless the food was actually pretty decent and there was also an unexpected surprise, mangoes! I don't know about you but I love mangoes, so walking into the restaurant I was pleasantly surprised, because upon entering the restaurant it's front entrance is just crowded by all these boxes of mangoes. So as we were eating there was only one thing on our minds, "what the hell are those mangoes doing in a Korean Restaurant?". Sure enough the answer was clear, as we asked for the check the waitress informs us to take a box of mangoes on our way out as a "service"(Korean business term for -Freebie). Unfortunately there was a downside, most of the mangoes were past their prime. So out of 7 I had to throw away 3 and freeze the rest, but  I guess there's nothing to complain about since its free right? Anyways thats why I decided to make a refreshing sorbet which I'd like to share with you all today. I'll post the pics and then I'll have the recipe below.






                    Recipe
                      1 Ripe frozen Mango(must be ripe)
                      2 Slices of Canned Pineapple(Dole)
                      1 Tablespoon of honey
                      A blender
                      This should make about 2-3 servings

Directions


In a blender place the mango cut into 1 inch pieces, the pineapple slices, and the honey. Blend until smooth and creamy, if the sorbet is a bit on the melty side you can put it in the freezer for a few minutes. You can garnish with a candied lemon peel, raspberry, or even a sprig of mint. Enjoy..